Monday, March 28, 2011

Post #1*


I just finished reading an article about the pathogenesis of blockages in the digestive tract, so it seems like a good a time as any to begin this blog. Post #1*, the asterix denoting the fact that this is around the fifth time that I've tried to start a food blog. I love food blogs, for the most part, and I think about food and cooking a lot, and I cook a lot, so it seemed like a natural progression to make a food blog of my own. But I feel uncomfortable writing about myself (a middle child thing?) and I have a high-stress, demanding job (I'm a research scientist), so my prior attempts at blogging were abandoned.

Try, try again. Here, this time, I want to talk about good recipes and cooking, but I also am interested in larger issues related to food (culture, gender issues, history, policy, etc.). I'll try not to be too pretentious or twee (except for the Poladroids, because those make it look like I can actually take an interesting photo), but this is a food blog so there's only so much I can do.

Oh, and the name? It refers to these cheap, plastic handled knives you can buy at outdoor markets in Italy, shrinked-wrapped into packages of eight. They are the knives I grew up using and learning to cook with, and I love them because they are practical, beautiful, and they get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment